Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Office

I am a total fan of The Office (NBC, Thursday Nights, 8 pm). I have The Office theme song as my ringtone on my cell phone. I have a Dwight Schrute bobblehead in my office, complements of my beautiful wife. At work, I also have a Michael Scott memo pad that says "World's Best Boss" and at home I have the Michael Scott pen and pencil set. The mousepad I'm using right now is a photo of The Office crew. My wife even thinks I have a thing for Pam. Not true, by the way! (Oh my...I just re-read that, and I realized that I am an Office nerd...oh well...admission is the first step to recovery).

Anyway, I've been thinking for quite some time that the place I work at is a LOT like Dunder Mifflin. Ha! Unless you're my boss, and you've stumbled on here by accident...then I TOTALLY don't mean to suggest that you are incompetent or unfocused like Michael Scott is. Every time I watch the show, I see some parallel to my work. Once, just after the episode about the bat in the Scranton office aired, I walked into work and found a real, live bat hanging by the door in our lobby. True story. We used to have a guy we dubbed "Andy" who would sing made up songs all day long to annoy everyone. And, heaven help you if you leave your cell phone unattended. It WILL end up in the ceiling tile and someone like me will call it repeatedly, just so you know it's gone and you can't find it. We even have a guy named "Kevin" at our office.

So, today, I was just getting started on my minesweeper project...you know, cuz those mines aren't going to sweep themselves. Ha! Unless you’re my boss…and you’re still reading….then I’m TOTALLY kidding about minesweeper. I was actually working on that really important project for the board of directors. I’m not sure my computer even has minesweeper. Well, I was interrupted by a commotion outside my office. Our HR lady (we call her “Toby” behind her back) was lecturing one of our salesmen because he turned in an expense report from Hooters. I had a quick flashback to season 2 when Michael took Jim to Hooters to cheer him up. Apparently our salesmen take clients there too…for a little cheering up of their own. The salesman got all nervous and flubbery and actually said “Um, no, it’s because the chicken wings…” Whatever.

So, here’s my question. If you’re in HR, do you give your sales guys a hard time if they turn in expense reports from Hooters? I guess I need my friends Travis and Mike to chime in on this.

If you have no input on the Hooters thing, besides “That’s what she said,” what’s your favorite line from The Office?

3 comments:

Kelli Bramble said...

Because you asked so nicely:

Michael: Yes. It is true. I, Michael Scott, am signing up with an online dating service. Thousands of people have done it, and I am going to do it. I need a user name, and... I have a great one.

[types something]

Michael: 'Little Kid Lover'. That way people will know exactly where my priorities are at.

Travis said...

Hooters? No problem. That is middle of the road with what is turned in on expense reports lately. Guess we are pretty loose that way. And by the way, their wings are gross!

Kate Moir said...

I have a co worker friend named Andy, (not that he acts like Andy on the office) and at one point he found himself in the awkward predicament of having my cousin (your wife's cousin also) Aaron for a boss. No one likes Aaron as their boss, which is why that department has since been dissolved, but not before I gave my friend Andy several packages of Jell-o to put Aaron's calculator and other supplies in.